Nicole Campbell, Hon.FRCSLT, Trustee,
The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia
Brian Petheram, IT and aphasia expert
Abi Roper, Speech and Language Therapist, Technologist and Research Fellow, City, University of London
For transparency: Abi Roper was part of the team that developed Make Write, an app designed for people with aphasia and which is on our website. Abi was not involved with the analysis or information posted on this website.
|Kathy Cann, Support Co-ordinator for NETA [North East Trust for Aphasia] joined the ASF team as Consultant in 2021.
|Jo Chitty, Administrator for The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia joined the team in 2022, helping to co-ordinate and support.
This site was inspired and funded by The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia.
The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia [TTA] works to improve the quality of life for those with aphasia. It funds pioneering research and projects that aim to improve the lives of people with aphasia and their families. It is the only grant-making trust in the United Kingdom that is dedicated solely to aphasia.
To learn more about The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia visit their website here.
The main aim of this website is to bring together, in one place, information about software and apps produced in the English language*, that were designed to help people with aphasia.
* Some apps are designed so that they can either be used or be adapted to use other languages.
How We Do It
Click the following link to learn How we do it.
Click the following link for More Information about the Aphasia Software Finder.
Nicole Campbell, a Trustee of the TTA, first conceived the idea for this website in 2009, when she became aware of the ever increasing number of aphasia software therapy programs that were coming onto the market. The need for something to help people with aphasia, as well as therapists and academics, make informed choices became evident. After a year of exploratory discussions with all parties, this project was commissioned by The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia.
The Aphasia Software Finder was launched in 2011. Please see Acknowledgements for a list of those involved.
In June 2016 Circle Interactive took over the maintenance of the ASF. With the Aphasia Software Finder team: Nicole Campbell, Brian Petheram and Sarah Woodward, they helped with the redesign of the website and key updates.
In 2023 the Aphasia Software Finder team: Nicole Campbell, Kathy Cann, Brian Petheram, Abi Roper and Jo Chitty oversaw the 1st completely new re-design of the website.
- We have no connection with any provider of aphasia software apart from: Dr Abi Roper joined the ASF team as a Consultant in 2019. She was part of the team that developed MakeWrite, an app designed for people with aphasia and which is on our website. Abi was not involved with the MakeWrite analysis or information posted on this website.
- We have also provided some information about software and apps that might be useful to people with aphasia but were not designed with that in mind.
- This cannot be an exhaustive list.
- We do not make recommendations or give advice.
- We recognise that everyone’s needs are different and what is good for one person may not be good for someone else.
- We strongly recommend that if possible advice and guidance is sought on choosing and using the software or app from a qualified speech therapist/pathologist.
Please note we are not in a position to offer individual help or support in using the software.